Monday, February 20, 2012

End of Day 2: $1,435.00

Thanks for another $275 in generous donations today!  You guys rock!  Thanks also to everyone for spreading the word and helping to get the message out to anyone that might be interested/able to help.  Seriously, every little bit helps!  Again, if you're interested in helping check this out.

Some exciting news today!  On the last day of the challenge (i.e. March 19, 2012), Applebee's in Madison, WI (660 S. Whitney Way) will be hosting a dine to donate event where you bring in a flyer (that I will post online), and then 15% of food and drink purchases go toward this fundraiser.  What an awesome way to end the fundraiser!  Look for more details on here soon!

Also, the Pizza Pie Cafe in Logan, UT will be hosting a fundraiser for a week in March where 25% of food and drink purchased during that week will go toward this fundraiser for anyone bringing in a special business card (that a friend is picking up for me and we're figuring out where/how to distribute).  How exciting is that?  Look for more details on here soon.

If you have any other ideas for fundraisers and want to help, feel free to email me.  I'm working on a bowling fundraiser out in Oregon, and a few other ideas as well.  Stay tuned!

Recently, a conversation with a friend made me think about two individuals in Ecuador who I affectionately refer to as my "abuelitos Ecuatorianos", or my Ecuadorian grandparents.  All of my grandparents are no longer alive, and I often miss the wisdom and humility that comes with having lived a certain length of time on earth and experienced a variety of things.  All of my grandparents were tremendous advocates of education, and I feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity to have pursued an advanced degree.  I also feel fortunate to have known, and learned from, my grandparents for a large part of my life.

While I was in Ecuador, I adopted some grandparents, or, rather, I think they adopted me.  Don Ernesto and Doña Carmen taught me more in the moments we shared than any textbook could have.  This is what I miss most about my grandparents, and this is what I loved about them.
Don Ernesto, Doña Carmen, and Me (I'm 5'2", but I tower here)

Doña Carmen taught me the true meaning of being a "diabla".  Literally, "devil", but in this case, a very sarcastic, quick witted, wise woman.  You might imagine the kinds of jokes she was spouting as I was helping to make blood sausages for the first time (which, at one part includes blowing on the very well cleaned intestines to check for leaks...).  It was over pig's blood and intestines that we first bonded...

Video recording of me checking for leaks in the cleaned intestines before stuffing them to make sausages.  Video taken and commentary by Kelly (another volunteer)

Don Ernesto is an amazing farmer.  He has a very nicely maintained farm and is very generous with his produce- from bananas to papaya, lemons, limes, oranges... you name it, he probably has it.  Additionally, I think he was my favorite dance partner of all.  I really felt like I looked ridiculous (and probably did most of the time), but I couldn't help smiling, laughing, sweating, and generally enjoying life while dancing with him.

Me dancing with Don Ernesto

I am thankful to have met such interesting and wonderful people and look forward to the chance to learn more from my adopted abuelitos when I return to Ecuador.

No comments:

Post a Comment